Monday 24 March 2008

My first post!

Well, this is my first post on my new blog. I am not going to kid myself that anyone is actually going to read it, but the ice needed to be broken!

I have yet to decide what to actually DO with this blog. I've always been of the opinion that personal blogs are merely an outlet for the self-absorbed to brag about their kids/travels/poetry/music/art/pets/etc. My accomplishments in all of the areas are modest at best and non-existent at worst, so this will not be what my blog is about.

My first idea is to use it as a means to share experiences and photographs of our little life here in Edinburgh with the folks back home. Magnus and I are rampant photo-takers. Our computer is literally stuffed with photos we have taken on holidays and weekends around Edinburgh, and I would like a way to share these with my family. My mom and dad will probably be the only avid viewers of these photos, but hey, that's ok!

My second idea is to use it to motivate myself artistically. I enjoy binding small and modestly attractive books in leather and vintage fabrics. I have given away many of these as gifts, and have sold a handful at craft fairs, but I haven't really seriously applied myself to it yet. I think that having an outlet for sharing my books might motivate me to pick this up again.

Also, I have been thinking about investing in a digital SLR camera, and actually learning how to take decent photos. This will be a big step for me, because I never stray from the 'auto' setting on my simple point and shoot compact digital camera, and I have never even attempted to tweak a photo with a program like PhotoShop. I like the idea that my photographically gifted father might be able to offer me sage advice and constructive artistic criticism from thousands of miles away.

I don't 'internet' as much as I used to. Maybe that's because I binged so much when I was younger. Gorged, even. Now I think I have swung the opposite way, and I can barely sit down in front of my computer long enough to jot off a quick email. Literally. I can't remember the last time I logged into Facebook or MySpace. This means I have been absolutely unforgivably poor at keeping in touch with people I really do want to keep in touch with. Maybe this will help me to regain a healthy level of internet usage, and I can develop a social internetting habit once again.

We'll see! I have every intention of following this through. But the danger is that it might go the way of Facebook, and in a couple of months I won't even be able to remember my password.

1 comment:

Christine (Rainy Day Reads) said...

I have been reading it... so you can trust that somebody is at least reading! :) I love your photos!!